Sunday, November 27, 2016

Layer 1 will get you everytime

I am supposed to be working on my class final but decided that i would update the CENTOS on the server that I plan to use for my CND tools.  Well, two hours later I am sitting here feeling "not so smart". I know my Linux skills needs improvement so much that it is more accurate to just say i need to learn some Linux. I started off with trying to remember my password and also knowing that I was accessing the box by breaking a rule number one of Linux security. But hey i am a novice, and will put that task on my "things to do". I got access but now I am stuck with what to do next ? I need to upgrade to CENTOS7 and install Security Onion right. Well, all the documentation i found only has C7 for 64bit machines. I unfortunately, only have 32-bit boxes.  needless to say, I needed to update what I had and upgrade to C7.  accessed the box, and fumbled around with stuff using my RTFM but eventually ended up all over the Internet. ended up with no yum update just errors



[14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: base. Please verify its path and try again
In the Centos 65 operating system, this usually means that there are no name servers entered."]









Always check layer 1!!! The Ethernet cable was not connected to the switch. I didn't notice until I tried to ping my local segment and was unsuccessful.
I don't know if i should go back and change those network settings or not (yum worked), I think i will leave it alone.

No comments: